Bible Study & Devotional Day 55
🔴 Humanity Rules
written by: Torrie Slaughter
Can we focus on God?
Words to Ponder
- Ritual- done following social custom or standard protocol
- Hypocrisy- the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one’s own behavior does not conform; pretense.
- Apostasy- the abandonment or renunciation of a religious or political belief.
Families pass down traditions according to their culture. Some religious observances are rooted in ritual rather than obedience to God. As we honor our Lord and Savior, we must intentionally seek His guidance. We avoid errors when we follow God and not try to please people.
Jesus brings awareness, power, understanding, knowledge into our lives as we read the Gospels. The Pharisees and Scribes (Ephesians 4:18) spoke to their ritualistic ideals and not to the reverence of God our Father. Jesus tells us that the sins of the heart lead to abusive practices and defiles people. (Mark 7:14-16) Christ exposed the hypocrisy of the religious leaders.
How do we focus our thoughts on God?
- We give Him our whole heart.
- Worship with pure intention corporately and privately.
- Teach through the love and wisdom Christ gives to His followers.
As you read today’s assigned scriptures, think about your habits. Do they honor God or create a barrier between you and His people?
Connect with Torrie via www.torrieslaughter.com
Torrie is a media ministry consultant who works with churches and faith driven organizations to build their ministry team, grow their online presence, improve communication with staff and volunteers by creating systems designed to combat inertia. Want to hear more? Tune in and listen to A Daily Purpose Bible Study & Devotional a podcast by Our Given Purpose and on Fridays to Talking on Purpose with Torrie the Podcast. Torrie also hosts a YouTube channel of the same name.
This devotional was submitted by Torrie Slaughter, the founder of Our Given Purpose® in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
🔴 The Bible In A Year Daily Reading Plan