Bible Study & Devotional (Day 27)
🔴 No Excuse
Contributing Writer: Holly Rigos
Have you ever been at a crossroads and doubtful of what the Lord’s plan is for you?
You aren’t alone!
Even Moses doubted God’s presence and assurance of success for the mission that lay ahead of him. We hear the name of Moses and see his faithful hands parting the Red Sea, leading the people through the wilderness, and performing miracles with the staff all at the age of 80!
However, he doubted, protested, and quickly added FIVE excuses for not immediately doing as God asked.
In Exodus 4, Moses not only doubted but protested his inadequacies because of the nature of the task. Moses had the plan in his hands! He had the power in his hands. He held the staff! Moses had the Lord Almighty lay out a plan and purpose for his life. Yet, Moses was able to provide five excuses from I am not good enough to I’m not qualified; please send someone else!
- “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh, and that I should bring the children of Israel out of Egypt?” -Exodus 3:11
- “Then Moses said to God, “Indeed, when I come to the children of Israel and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they say to me, ‘What is His name?’ what shall I say to them?” -Exodus 3:13
- “Then Moses answered and said, “But suppose they will not believe me or listen to my voice; suppose they say, ‘The LORD has not appeared to you.’ ” -Exodus 4:1
- “Then Moses said to the LORD, “O my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither before nor since You have spoken to Your servant, but I am slow of speech and slow of tongue.” -Exodus 4:10
- “But he said, “O my Lord, please send by the hand of whomever else You may send.” -Exodus 4:13
What is holding you back from following God’s plan and purpose for your life?
- Slow of speech?
- No college education?
- Family history?
- Past and/or Current sinful habits?
- Confidence and Self-esteem?
The Lord replied to Moses’ protests and excuses with reverent anger in verse 14 of Exodus 4.
Do you want to bristle God’s anger by not obeying him?
Do you want to disobey God?
What is it worth to you to hold on tightly to the staff and not release it to do God’s will?
God works with each of us where we are and takes us to where He wants us to be. We just need to be willing to leave behind the excuses.
After enduring two family members succumbing to cancer, two family friends were killed in the line of duty only then to watch my own husband battle Lymphoma in his 30s. I was at a crossroads with my faith – I could either TRUST GOD or not. I choose to TRUST and CAPTURE our legacy for God’s glory. GOD is knitting our story – I believe in the redeeming love of my Lord and Savior. To tell my story is to tell HIS. How is God knitting YOUR story?
This devotional was submitted by Holly Rigos, a loving contributor to Our Given Purpose. Edited by Torrie Slaughter the founder of Our Given Purpose® in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
🔴 The Bible In A Year Daily Reading Plan