Bible Study & Devotional 343
Guiding Scripture: Proverbs 29:18, ‘Where there is no revelation, people cast off restraint; but blessed is the one who heeds wisdom’s instruction.’
🔴 Blessed Are God’s People
written by: Torrie Slaughter
It’s hard to believe that we are quickly approaching the end of 2021. These last few weeks were challenging and forced me to make decisions based on future goals. I see where the Lord is leading, and I want to remain obedient.
And while I’m sharing, can I say how difficult it is not to look at what other people are doing? To know the difference between inspiration, competition, and jealousy takes prayer. There is a choice, and we can decide how we will feel.
That power is liberating when I choose inspiration. Why?
It takes away restraint to fit into a mold that is not designed for me.
The Bible tells us in many places that those who know God’s command will be blessed, for example:
We know our posture before the Lord, and scripture reminds us that we are not greater than our Master.
- John 3:17, “If you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.”
During the wilderness season, the people lacked restraint and failed to worship God alone.
- Exodus 32:25, “Moses saw that the people were out of control, for Aaron had let them run wild and become a laughingstock to their enemies.”
Lack of restraint blurs the lines between holiness and evil.
- 1 Samuel 3:1, “And the boy Samuel ministered to the LORD before Eli. Now in those days, the word of the LORD was rare, and visions were scarce.
We learn that our blessings come from being faithful stewards and intentionally seeking God’s wisdom.
- Psalm 1:1-2, “Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked, or set foot on the path of sinners, or sit in the seat of mockers. 2 But his delight is in the Law of the LORD, and on His law he meditates day and night.”
Finally, the reward for being self-controlled and governed by God’s word is echoed in
- Psalm 19:11, “By them indeed Your servant is warned; in keeping them is great reward.”
I pray we will heed God’s instruction and be diligent in our pursuit of His purpose for our lives.
Prayer: Lord, please help us see you in everything we do. May we all continue to shine light in dark places and use your word as a light unto our path. We know we are blessed when we display a reverential fear of you and walk in obedience. Thank you, Abba Father, Amen.
🔴 The Bible In A Year Daily Reading Plan
Thursday, December 9, 2021
This devotional was written by Torrie Slaughter the founder of Our Given Purpose® for A Daily Purpose Bible Study & Devotional. Want to hear more? Tune in on Mondays and listen to Our Given Purpose the Podcast and on Fridays to Talking on Purpose with Torrie the Podcast & Internet Show. Torrie also hosts a YouTube channel of the same name.