Bible Study & Devotional 333
Guiding Scripture: 2 Peter 3:14 ‘So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him.’
🔴 Above All
written by: Torrie Slaughter
The Apostle Peter concludes his letter with warnings and reminds us to be faithful in our behavior. As with his previous statements, Peter urges Christ-followers to stand firm and prepare for disputes because we are living in the last days waiting for the return of Christ.
In 2 Peter 3:8, one of my favorite ‘above all’ declarations is that a day with the Lord is like a thousand years and a thousand years are like a day, which is a constant reminder that the God who is Above All is Sovereign! For Him, I will wait.
Dear friends, as you read the conclusion of Peter’s epistle, I’d like you to meditate on your posture before the Lord.
- Are you seeking after the presence of God?
- Do you have a hunger for righteousness?
- Can you place your trust in the Everlasting God to work in your life?
As Peter urged his audience to move to action, we can look through the lens of the Holy Spirit to guide us into truth.
Above all, we can:
- Stimulate our minds to think wholesome thoughts. (2 Peter 3:1)
- Understand that faith comes with testing. (2 Peter 3:3-4)
- Remember, God formed the earth from the Heavens. (2 Peter 3:5)
- Be mindful that the Lord keeps His promise according to His Divine timing. (2 Peter3:9)
- Know that God’s patience & love means salvation.
- Be on guard so that we do not fall but grow in knowledge. (2 Peter 3:17)
- Live holy lives while we wait on the Lord. (2 Peter 3:11)
Peter’s letter emphasizes the teaching of Jesus. And because Peter was an eyewitness to the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus, we should be even more aware of the schemes of false teachers. Christ Jesus is our ultimate perfect example of how we should live, and He used Peter as an imperfect vessel to amplify His teachings.
Prayer: Father, reveal to us the false teachers in our lives who do not know the transformative power of your Son Jesus. Please help us to choose holiness and not condone sin. We want to grow in understanding and wisely follow your purpose for our lives. Amen
🔴 The Bible In A Year Daily Reading Plan
Monday, November 29, 2021
Daniel 6:1-28, 2 Peter 3:1-18, Psalm 119:129-152, Proverbs 28:21-22
This devotional was written by Torrie Slaughter the founder of Our Given Purpose® for A Daily Purpose Bible Study & Devotional. Want to hear more? Tune in on Mondays and listen to Our Given Purpose the Podcast and on Fridays to Talking on Purpose with Torrie the Podcast & Internet Show. Torrie also hosts a YouTube channel of the same name.