Bible Study & Devotional 279
Guiding Scripture: Colossians 2:8 ‘See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces of this world rather than on Christ.’
🔴 The Enemy of the Mind Part 2
written by: Torrie Slaughter
Today’s reading connects many thoughts and ideas and ultimately points to Christ as our Savior and Lord. From Jeremiah, Psalms, and Proverbs, we watch the story guide us into the right relationship with God.
We know what we should be aware of and how different philosophies, cultural pressure, and family tradition pull us away from God’s purpose.
Matthew 7:15 Jesus told the disciples, Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but they are ravening wolves inwardly.
The Apostle Paul continues this teaching and reminds the Colossians that the Lord is Sovereign over every power. Anything that tries to lure you away from His Truth is overcome through the circumcision of our hearts (Colossians. 2:11). We will protect the thoughts when we recognize that the enemy or ‘principalities’ are after our minds.
How do we use God’s Truth as a weapon and place of refuge?
- God gave Jesus authority over all the elements of the earth, wind, water, and fire. (Colossians 2:8)
- Human tradition does not equal righteous living. Philosophy is the love of wisdom; however, without God, no one fully understands. (Colossians 2:8)
- We have a new life in Christ Jesus. (Colossians 2:11-14)
- Jesus is the Conqueror of principalities and powers. ( Colossians 2:15)
- Christ is Lord over all things, including food, beverage, and holidays. (Colossians 2:16-17)
- The warnings. Those who use earthly wisdom are unspiritual and cause division. (Colossians 2:18-23)
- We are not subject to the ‘I can’t’ mentality and are free in Christ if we believe. (Colossians 2:20-22)
I pray as you consider these truths when you are battling doubt, uncertainty, or people-pleasing. May we all love God, ourselves, and others through the lens of the Cross.
🔴 The Bible In A Year Daily Reading Plan
Jeremiah 6:16-8:7, Colossians 2:8-23, Psalm 78:1-31, Proverbs 24:26
This devotional was written by Torrie Slaughter the founder of Our Given Purpose® for A Daily Purpose Bible Study & Devotional. Want to hear more? Tune in on Mondays and listen to Our Given Purpose the Podcast and on Fridays to Talking on Purpose with Torrie the Podcast & Internet Show. Torrie also hosts a YouTube channel of the same name.